Pastry Cream

Hello everyone!

I hope you all have a  great Monday and an amazing week. I am finally back in business and ready to upload new yummy recipes!

Today's recipe is really simple, useful for many desserts. In fact, I made a strawberry tart and added pastry cream to give it a better taste (I will upload the recipe tomorrow).


Ingredients

4 egg yolks
40gr. cornstarch
500 ml. milk
100 gr. sugar
1 cinnamon stick

Directions

1. Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl, add the cornstarch, pour 100 ml. milk approximately to prevent lumps in the dough (this step is known as tempering), and stir the mix until blended.












2. Pour the milk (approx. 400 ml.), sugar and cinnamon stick in a large saucepan, and gradually stir in the mix. Let it cook over a low heat until it boils.

3. Add in the first mixture (egg dough) and constantly stir, to avoid the egg yolks from being cooked, until the mixture thickens. It takes approximately 10 minutes. 











4. Remove from the heat and let it cool/refrigerate.


5. Grab a spoon and start eating it, ...or you can also add the mix into a pastry bag for filling a cake, decoration, etc. 


Pastry cream is easy, quick and cheap to make. It has vitamin D and can be used in many desserts such as a tart's base, cream puffs (profiteroles), éclairs, cupcakes, and so on.

Cinnamon stick can be substituted for vanilla stick, and you can also add lemon skin to the mixture. I this occasion, I thought I had cinnamon stick at home, but it turned out that I did not. Although I had vanilla sticks I decided to skip this step, and I have to confess that the pastry cream was as good!

I hope you try this easy recipe and share with me how good it was. I will post tomorrow the full recipe for the strawberry tart seen above.

Thank you for reading my blog.

Miriam

Comments